29 August 2004

I think I may have a problem - I find that I'm agreeing with Jimmy Roberts more often than not the last few days.

Take his Olympic Moment on the legacy of the Athens Games. His point - that the Games will mostly be remembered for going off smoothly when there was ample concern that they would not - has a solid ring of truth to it. When all was said and done, the Games went off better than expected.

I don't think they'll be seen as one of the classic Games, though. Solid for sure, but lacking that breakout character like Carl Lewis (or on the other end, Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards). Michael Phelps will continue to be pushed upon us for that role, but the immense hype that preceded the Games has, I think, worked against him. His medal total is still incredible, but after pushing the Spitz angle for so long, it makes his result seem something less than it was. That's unfortunate, but not unexpected give the way the US media works.

Speaking of which, NBC should get good marks for its area rug coverage. It's still not wall to wall, but it's a step in the right direction. The ADHD-influenced prime time coverage can go, certainly. Let's hope for Torino they give more consistent coverage of events rather than going from a heat in one event to a half of something else to a rotation of third event before going back to the first - but not before giving us some human interest.

And as much as TripleCast stands out as a joke, perhaps the time is coming where live event coverage with actual sports-oriented production could be provided on a PPV basis. Overkill, perhaps, but if you really like an event it'd be heaven.

In the tradition of James Dinan though, here are my five items for Making it Better: Olympic broadcasting.

1. Show the beach volleyball dancing girls. They were mentioned on-air and in other media, but we never got a chance to judge things on our own. I'm sure the Baron de Coubertin would be horrified, of course.

2. Make advertisers come up with at least 5 different spots. I'm pretty sick of Kristi Yamaguchi and Jonny Mosley pretending to diss their summer counterparts. I also now know that Bank of America processes 11 billion checks a year, and that to them it's about doing one check right and repeating that process 11 billion times.

3. See point number two regarding new fall season promotion. I will never watch an episode of Father of the Pride after seeing the same small rotation of promos for it (then again, I wasn't likely to tune in to begin with).

4. More long-form event coverage, especially in prime time, as I noted before. Let the drama of the events unfold rather than forcing it upon us.

5. A couple fewer US medal ceremonies, please. At one point I heard the Star Spangled Banner three times in something like 7 minutes. I'm not expecting that the coverage will become any less Americentric, but try to even it out at least.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...