18 August 2004

Not much for an Olympic report today - I was out most of the day, visiting former coworkers at Babson and going to the Red Sox game (more on that in a second). So instead, here's a list of the sports I've not seen yet:

Archery, though there's some gold medal action tomorrow on one of the channels from what I just heard.

Baseball, which I'll need to see before it gets dropped. I caught like one out of Cuba-Japan (I think it was Japan), but I'm not counting it.

Canoeing, on which I really have nothing to say.

Fencing, as I don't count the highlights of the women's individual sabre from yesterday. That's on somewhere tomorrow, too.

Modern Pentathlon, assuming there's going to be any coverage of it anyway.

Synchronized Swimming, which can stay on the list for all I care. But I know I'll wind up seeing some of it.

Taekwondo, wrestling, triathlon, none of which have started yet.

Track and field, as I didn't stay up until 2 am to see the shot put from Olympus and wasn't home to see a rebroadcast.

To the Sox game. The carmine hose put up a workmanlike 6-4 win on the Blue Jays, a game that moved swiftly until Keith Foulke decided to make things interesting in the ninth. We were standing in anticipation of the final out as Foulke was giving up runs on bloopers, and I mentioned to Sarah that perhaps we should sit down, as he got his first two outs easily when we were seated. As if they could hear me, large sections of people behind the plate did just that. So we sat down, too. Foulke got a pop out, game over.

Tonight marked the first big league start for Earl Snyder, just called up for Pawtucket. He was 0 for 3 going into the 8th, and upon taking the batter's box he got a huge standing ovation, the crowd doing everything in its part to will him to his first big league hit. I've never seen something like this before, and it was great to be a part of it. Thankfully, he was up to the challenge, stroking a nice single to left.

Sadly, third base coach Dale Sveum tried a little too hard to get him his first RBI, as he sent Bill Mueller. Given that the ball was out only about midway, he was a good 10 to 15 feet from the plate when the ball got there. He was stupendously out. Somewhere, Wendell Kim smiled.

1 comment:

Mark said...

So, looking at Baseball-Reference.com, I learn that Snyder actually had 11 hits for the Cleveland Indians in 2002. So it was really his first Red Sox hit that I saw. And, sadly for him, his last major league hit ever. I'm fairly certain he's the only player I've seen make their last hit.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...