16 August 2004

One of the problems with seeing the Olympics mostly on tape is avoiding results spoilers. NBC has been smart enough to put a "Spoiler Alert" tag on the screen when there's an interview that may give something away (though I wonder why they bother with such interviews, as it kind of cuts their own throats if people learn a result and decide to watch something else).

I'm finding it hard to avoid spoilers with Yahoo! as my home page, as they've taken to putting all the big results into main headlines. I could pretty much tell you how swimming and gymnastics went as of about 4 pm.

Yahoo! doesn't owe NBC anything to prevent this, but I do wonder if they may alienate users. I expect spoilers on the ESPN web site given its sports focus, and on news sites as they're news providers. I can avoid those if I really want to be surprised. I don't have the same choice if I want to use Yahoo!, even if it wasn't my home page.

I don't think it's going to cause a serious problem, but I'd be curious to see if Yahoo! gets fewer hits during than normal as people learn to stay away if they don't want to see results ahead of time.

I have very little to add in actual sports news, other than I got to see several pairs choke in the last round of the men's synchronized diving, including the US men who were in second. They wound up out of the medals, handing the Greeks a fairly unexpected gold. Much more entertaining than Olympic tennis.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...