03 August 2005

Time for a variation on the "fun with iTunes" meme that was kicking around for a while. For the following 20 musical artists, you must name the one song I have of theirs in my iTunes. Some of these should be pretty easy, others less so. Put your guesses in the comments, and I'll make notations as the songs are correctly identified.

Time's up, here's the lineup:

1. 10CC - "The Things We Do For Love" (Greg). Heard it at lunch one day at Babson and it got stuck in my head until I got my own copy.

2. Aaron Neville - "These Arms of Mine," which I seem to have gotten from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack. No worries; I do not have a copy of "She's Like the Wind."

3. America - "Sister Golden Hair" (Matt).

4. Annie Lennox - "Why" (Greg). It's an unplugged version, not sure if it's "official" MTV Unplugged or not.

5. Badfinger - "No Matter What" (JQ). I also got mine thanks to the Outside Providence soundtrack.

6. Bill Withers - "Lean On Me" (Greg).

7. Buckner & Garcia - "Pac Man Fever" (Scott). Though I was more of an Asteroids fan, really.

8. Carbon Leaf - "Life Less Ordinary" (Craig).

9. The Cure - "Close to You," from Craig's tournament.

10. The Dave Brubeck Quartet - "Take Five" (Scott).

11. Dixie Chicks - "I Can Love You Better." Like I said, the wife put this one on.

12. Englebert Humperdink - "Lesbian Seagull" (JQ).

13. Frank Sinatra - "Somewhere Beyond the Sea."

14. General Public - "Tenderness" (Greg).

15. Jewel - "You Were Meant For Me" (James). Off of the Live on Letterman CD, credited as Jewel with Flea. With that pairing, I had to keep it.

16. Living Colour - "Cult of Personality" (Matt).

17. Michael Jackson - "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (Greg). Ironic, don't you think?

18. Rufus Wainwright - "April Fools" (Greg).

19. The Scorpions - "Rock You Like a Hurricane" (JQ). Ja!

20. Strawberry Alarm Clock - "Incence and Peppermint" (Matt). Not sure why I have this or where it came from. I suppose it's my music for freaking out squares, given that I have no Billy Joel.

Enjoy!

22 comments:

Allyson said...

I am desperately hoping that the America song is "Horse with No Name," if only so I can ask "What is your obsession with that song?"
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Chamber/4749/dfsounds.html (scroll down a little more than halfway to horse1 and horse2)

Allyson said...

OK, the whole link didn't post ... add /dfsounds.html after 4749 to get to the site.

Mark said...

Sorry, there is no microcassette recording of me singing out there.

Scott Monty said...

Okay, I'm going way out on a limb here, but what the hey:
7. Pac Man Fever
10. Take Five
12. After the Lovin'
13. Summer Wind

Matt said...

1. I'm Not in Love
3. Sister Golden Hair (if Allyson's wrong)
6. Ain't No Sunshine
12. Feelin' Hot Hot Hot
15. Who Will Save Your Soul (I hope it's not "Intuition")
16. Cult of Personality
18. He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
20. Incense and Peppermint

Matt said...

Ignore my guess for 12. I always get Englebert Humperdink and Buster Poindexter confused, for some reason. Seriously.

Greg said...

1. The Things We Do For Love
3. Ventura Highway
4. Why
6. Lovely Day
9. Just Like Heaven
10. Take Five
11. Goodbye Earl
13. Fly me to the Moon
14. Tenderness
16. Love Rears its Ugly Head
17. Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough
18. April Fools
19. No One Like You

Anonymous said...

Let's see what I can do:
5. No Matter What (I have it, thanks to the Outside Providence soundtrack)
9. Boys Don't Cry
15. Foolish Games
19. Rock You Like a Hurricane

Scott Monty said...

12. Cherie Amour? There's a Kind of Hush? Spanish Eyes? Please Release Me?
13. It's Nice to Go Traveling

James said...

Bill Withers -- Just the Two of US

Jewel -- You Were Meant for Me

Sinatra -- My Way

Engelbert -- After the Lovin'

Greg said...

2. "Mickey Mouse Club Theme"
6. Lean on Me
9. Love Cats
13. Love & Marriage
16. Funny Vibe

The Grim Reaper said...

You have Jewel in your iTunes? What the hell is wrong with you? This is why we let Greg answer the music questions.

Chris

Greg said...

I was listening to a treacly Boz Scaggs ballad when I read Chris's comment, so I shan't throw stones.

I hate myself because I love...to hate myself.

Anonymous said...

9. Friday I'm in Love
11. Goodbye Earl
12. Still
16. Pride

Just trying to end the madness...

Shawn

Anonymous said...

9. Friday I'm in Love
11. Goodbye Earl
12. Still
16. Pride

Just trying to end the madness...

Shawn

Anonymous said...

Sorry about that!

Shawn

Mark said...

OK, hints for the remaining songs.

2 - It's on the sountrack of a film starring Patrick Swayze.

8 - Has a similar name to a Ewan MacGregor film.

9 - If you followed Craig Barker's song tournament, you may have voted for this song.

11 - I can't think of anything good here, but perhaps the wife will post the title given that she put the song on there in the first place.

12 - From the soundtrack for an animated movie. I don't think it's one of his standards, but it would be pretty cool if it was.

13 - Part of the title was the name of a movie bio about another singer (who may be the original performer, given the use of the title in the movie and all, but I'm woefully underinformed about this time/genre of music).

16 - You're all overthinking this one. Think more obviously.

Craig Barker said...

8. Carbon Leaf is Life Less Ordinary, right?

Anonymous said...

I don't know how we'd be overthinking 16 when it seems like the most obvious guess (from Matt) wasn't it.

As for 12 -- that's Lesbian Seagull; was reminded of such this weekend.

Mark said...

You've all been overthinking 16 because I missed that Matt got it. Duh on me.

Anonymous said...

I'm going with Sin Wagon for the dixie Chicks and In Between Days for the Cure.

Anonymous said...

I'm going with Sin Wagon for the dixie Chicks and In Between Days for the Cure.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...