28 November 2007

Book Log 2007 #51: The Grid by Phillip Schewe

I had high hopes for this book, as I knew little about the history or the technology behind the electrical grid, and given our growing dependence on it I figured it made sense to get some background.

My hopes weren't quite met, and while I'm writing this up way too late to point to specifics in the text, I did feel that the book didn't go quite deep enough into some of the history, and really didn't go deep enough into the technology. A basic chapter on how electricity gets from the plant to your house would have been helpful, as I know of much of the technology, but not in any sort of detail.

All that being said, I'm in favor of anything that gets us thinking about where our power comes from and the challenges to keeping the juice flowing, so I'd say this is worth a look.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...