06 November 2007

So the good news is that I'm now up to 1.5 hands, as I've had the splint off since Sunday and I've been able to reincorporate my non-filleted fingers into day to day tasks.

The bad news is that, at some point in the not too distant future, I'll be back down to one hand for at least a couple of weeks. This isn't too unexpected given the nature of the surgery, but what I didn't expect is that for those weeks, the repaired finger will have to be immobilized in a bent position so as not to place undue tension on the nerve, which could stretch it.

(I won't go into the details of the procedure, which at one point used terms like "zig zag stitch" and things that I'd rather not consider happening to my corpus.)

And after that I get to wait 6 to 8 months for the nerve to fully regrow. At which point the doctor I saw estimated I'd have 50 to 60 percent recovery of sensation. Which is enough for the important things, but not enough to get fine sensations. That's better than the ongoing numbness I have going on now, at least.

I'll find out my surgery date in the next couple of days. I'm hoping it'll land when we're closed for the holidays, as that would cause the least amount of disruption with work and other plans. It'd also give me an excuse to lay on the couch and watch bowl games. Not that I need one per se, but if I have one I'll take it.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Ouch! I just read about your accident, Mark. Here's to as speedy a recovery as possible!

(Hmmm, did the later post about chef training have anything to do with this?)

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...