07 March 2008

40 Days, 40 Churches

Day 31: St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, Salem MA

The wife and I happened upon this place not too long after moving up to Beverly, during one of the occasional aimless drives we take (please don't hate me for enlarging my carbon footprint). I've never considered the North Shore a hotbed of Orthodoxy, so you can imagine my surprise when onion domes started sprouting in what is an otherwise traditional local neighborhood.

The fact that this church exists is about all I know of it, though from the website I've learned that it's part of the Orthodox Church in America, an independent branch of Orthodox Christianity that grew out of the Russian Orthodox church. I won't go further into this, as I'd probably make some sort of ecclesiastical faux pas. As the link suggests, more information on the OCA is available on the Internet.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...