21 March 2008

Book Log 2008 #11: A Meeting at Corvallis by S. M. Stirling

Picking up not too long after the end of The Protector's War, the conflicts and tensions that have been building in the first two books finally come to a head and result in war. It's a pretty satisfying conclusion, though I did have some minor quibbles with the amount of time spent with a relatively new character (who I assume will play more of a role in the next series, which jumps ahead in time quite a bit) and the epilogue, which was way too mystical for my taste.

I was happy to see more attention paid to the communities not previously given much more than passing mention, one run by the remnants of the Oregon State faculty, the other by a monastic order. Though if the OSU faculty senate in the book is anything like the one's I've encountered, it's hard to believe they made it through the first week, never mind eight years.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...