13 July 2008

Book Log 2008 #28: Dough by Morris Zachter

This interesting little volume tells the story of Zachter's family, his two bachelor uncles who ran a "bakery" in New York City that didn't actually bake anything (he often refers to it as "the day old bread store") and his mom, their sister, who left teaching to take an upaid role in helping them run the store. What makes things so interesting is when Zachter learns that the uncles (only one of whom is living in the book's present day, and he with dementia) are millionaires. This is a total surprise to Zachter, and sparks both wonder at why his uncles continued to live and work as they did and anger at how they let their sister give up her career to work for them gratis.

The book reminds me quite a bit of Sweet and Low, though that book's story is much more contentious. I think it's also a somewhat better book, in that I never quite felt that Zachter got the answers he was looking for. Not sure if he ever could have, really. So at the end I still felt a bit unsure as to what, if anything, I should take from the story. There are certainly things to take from it's portrayal of working Americans and New York City, but I could have used a little more resolution.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...