30 July 2008

I did something the other day that I wasn't expecting to do, ever: I joined Facebook.

I wasn't particularly resistant to joining, but I didn't have much interest in doing so, either. Then a friend from high school sent an email with a link to her profile, and I figured joining would be an easy way to keep tabs.

Don't expect to do too much over there, though I have set up a couple of applications, one a map showing where I've been and the other a book listing deal where I'm trying to put in every book I've ever read (an attempt that's doomed to failure but will be entertainingly futile).

I've not made a great deal of outreach to add friends, but that may change as I poach people off of the friend lists of those of you lucky enough to have made the cut so far. I'm resisting the urge to friend my eldest niece, though there'd probably be some comedic value in it.

6 comments:

Greg said...

The only reason I ever set up anything on Myspace is to see what was going on with my stepsister. Some of the games are fun, anyway.

The Grim Reaper said...

I've got one just because some of my younger co-workers haven't learned yet that telling the world that you shake hands with the bishop 3 times a day may not be the best idea for professional development. Interesting picture array, though.

Anonymous said...

I joined Facebook for the sole reason of seeing pictures of a friend's wedding we skipped due to the impending birth of the kidlet. At least we thought it would be impending, given the wedding was July 3 and my original due date was July 5. As it turned out, we just made it through Cooch and Julie's wedding on June 21 before Teddy decided to arrive on June 23.

The moral of the story is, don't friend me. I won't be doing anything with the profile other than what's already there.

Scott Monty said...

Wow - big move. The next thing you know, you might actually start using titles for your blog posts. ;-)

It's also an interesting way to learn about your coworkers or potential new hires. There should be a mandatory class in college that warns students from posting material on the Interwebs that'll later sabotage any chance they'll have at the job they really want.

Mark said...

Titles for blog posts? Never!

I actually think that WIT has included the warning about posting things you'd rather not have someone official see in a session at summer orientation. Which is too bad, as from a res life point of view the Internets often came in handy.

Craig Barker said...

Mark, were you a part of the Manny trade and didn't mention it, or is this a joke to see if a new Pirates reliever is taking over TCAP?

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...