20 December 2016

Book Log 2016 #15: The Bat by Jo Nesbo

Harry Hole is a detective on the Oslo crime squad, but we first meet him in Australia, where he's been sent to observe during a murder investigation where the victim is Norwegian. Of course, he can't stay out of the case, and quickly develops relationships that allow him to be part of the action, which (inevitably) points to a serial murderer.

I'd wanted to start this series for a while, both on reputation and on enjoying other Scandinavian crime series. But I just couldn't get into the book, and found that the things that were supposed to make me root for Harry as an anti-hero didn't do anything for me. I also found the book's treatment of Aboriginals a little patronizing.

Even so, I may pick this up again to see if the series improves, but I'm in no rush to do so.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...