20 December 2016

Book Log 2016 #13: The Book on the Bookshelf by Henry Petroski

A book about the history of the book and the various methods for storing books? Right up my alley, and when coupled with Petroski's ability to explain design and technology in lay terms, I expected this to be really interesting and enjoyable.

Expectations subverted. This turned out to be a slog, with interesting bits hidden among copious (and too often tedious) detail. I think this would have been better if it weren't so linear in tracing the development of books, shelves, carrels, windows, etc.  I'd also have liked more emphasis on the personal, as the book seemed to do best when Petroski talks about his home library or the libraries frequented while a student or during his academic career.


No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...