23 December 2016

Book Log 2016 #24: Island in the Sea of Time by S.M. Stirling

I've been reading Stirling's Emberverse series for some time now (I'm also apparently a couple of books behind), but hadn't started its precursor series, where the same event that changed the laws of physics here caused Nantucket to be sent back in time to the Bronze Age. This is the first book in that series, where the hearty New Englanders, aided by the crew of a Coast Guard ship that was close enough to the island to get sent back as well, do their best to maintain the American way of life a good 3000 years before America even existed.

I generally liked the book, but did have two issues with it:

1. I didn't find the plot line where a group of idealistic believers in "noble savages" takes off to live like the natives to be all that believable. That the group had a healthy contingent of people who saw this as a shortcut to becoming a king was more believable. What finally happens to this group is very believable.

2. The book was too damn long, a complaint I've had with several of the Emberverse novels. This has actually kept me from moving on to the second book. I assume I will at some point.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...