30 December 2016

Book Log 2016 #42: Absolute Friends by John Le Carre

So this is not the book I was thinking of (A Legacy of Spies, which came out a year or so later and I really remember enjoying), but I do vaguely recall this as a story of two men, friends in their student days in Berlin, reconnecting in the current day to engage in one more mission, though with less clarity and/or sense of purpose as in their radical days.

I did read a couple of reviews of the book, both of which noted that the main character - a British tour guide in Berlin - was rootless and kind of undefined. I hadn't really thought about that when I read the book, as it seems to me that many of LeCarre's protagonists (especially in his post-Cold War books) would fit that description. Part of me also wonders if the character's girlfriend and her son are supposed to act as a kind of anchor, though I'm far enough removed from reading this to make an argument.

In any case, I seem to have liked it (four stars on Goodreads), but I tend to like everything from Le Carre.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...