12 February 2002

And now for the other half, 4B: LENT

I'm in a bit of a state as to what I should give up for Lent. I've got a couple thoughts running around in my head.

The first is cursing. Which is a fine idea, but may run counter to the thinking that you should give up something for Lent that's not something you shouldn't be doing in the first place. I counter with the idea that perhaps things would have worked out better if, say, Ted Bundy gave up killing for Lent. Perhaps that would have set him straight. Bastard would probably still have fried, and rightfully so, but it may have saved a couple dozen lives.

The other option is soda. Sarah thinks this idea is "stupid," but is hard pressed to give reason why. I think she believes it's not "Lent-worthy," though she thought giving up ice cream wasn't stupid. I actually think this would be harder, as I usually only ate ice cream at lunch (don't even do that now), while I drink a lot of soda. I also think this may be healthier, from an empty calorie, blood sugar, and tooth decay perspective.

I also think Sarah feels like if I give it up she'll have to as well. I've tried explaining it to her that she can continue to drink soda, but she's not getting it. Anyone who can make this clearer to her please let me know and I'll get you in touch with her.

Come to think of it, I don't know what she's giving up for Lent. Or even if she has to, given that she's a non-denominational Protestant. Personally I think if she's really planning on coming over to us, she should give something up, too.

I've also entertained the notion of giving up giving things up for Lent. It's an old kid sort of thing, what you'd say you were giving up before your parents boxed your ears and somehow you wound up quitting bubble gum for the duration.

However, given the current state of diocesian affairs, I also feel like I should be able to skip giving something up this time around out of spite. Not exactly the most Christian response, and I can assume it's not going to get the Vatican seal of approval, but outside of writing a letter to Cardinal Law telling him to go stuff his cassock it's up there in the list of things that would make me feel better.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...