07 February 2002

One of my post-Super Bowl fears has been realized.

You know the Britney Spears Pepsi ad, and how there were 4 or 5 ads that didn't get shown when they lost the on-line voting? They're showing up on TV now, without any sort of warning or care that people who bleed from the ears whenever Britney's warbling voice hits the air may be watching.

The surf-themed ad (or, as I call it, "Beach Blanket Bimbo") cropped up during Ed last night. Thankfully I was reading during the commercials, so I was able to deflect some of the severe mental damage.

Speaking of Ed, will some of you people start watching the damn show? It's funny, it's cute, and it's beginning to back off of the Warren Cheswick focus it had to start the season (for those who don't watch, Warren Cheswick is this generation's Skippy Handleman, but without the adoption and with a father played by Curtis "Booger/Herbert Viola" Armstrong).

If you really aren't familiar with the show, Ed is the story of a man in his early 30s who, after getting fired from his law firm and catching his wife in flagrante delicto with a mailman, goes a little crazy, returns home to Stuckeyville, Ohio, and embarks on a plan that requires him to buy a bowling alley and try to win the heart of the high school prom queen/sweetheart Carol Vessey.

My fandom for the show (aside from it coming from Dave Letterman's World Wide Pants) is the "there but for the grace of God go I" vibe. Although, as I think of it:

1. I was never fired from a law firm, having chosen to skip practice altogether.
2. Have never caught my wife cheating with the mailman, as (a) I am not married (yet), and (b) the mailman doesn't come to our building.
3. My hometown doesn't have a bowling alley.
4. I didn't have any interest in the most popular girls in my high school then, and I don't now.

Which basically leaves that I'm a male in my early 30s who may or may not have gone a little crazy (jury's out there).

In an event, I still like the show. And it has the guy who used to do the voice for the Pets.com Sock Puppet Dog (who is annoying but handled in small doses, thankfully).

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...