16 January 2003

One of the things that I meant to include in the recap but will mention here instead is the amount of cameras keeping an eye on the general populace. The Brits are very much into video surveilance. They are very up front about it, with signs posted that clearly indicate that cameras are in operation in the given area. They're also now using cameras on the roads quite a bit to document vehicular malfeasance.

Most Americans would chafe at this, and see it as further evidence that Big Brother is coming. I think given the clear notice I'm not so worried about it. I can see where abuses could occur, of course, but to my way of thinking (a) you don't have as much of an expectation to privacy when you're out in public, and (b) if there's clear notice that cameras are being used, how dumb do you have to be to do something that could get you in trouble in front of them?

There have been cases in Britain where cameras have helped to solve high-profile criminal cases (the Jamie Bulger case comes to mind). Even with this sort of benefit, I'm sure there are those of you out there who completely disagree with camera use. I'll admit I'm a lousy armchair civil libertarian, so I may very well have missed something in my limited analysis. Feel free to chime in.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...