26 June 2004

We are mostly done with the first phase of our move, which entails putting most of out stuff in storage for 2-3 weeks before we move it to the final destination. Thankfully, that storage is free, as my boss and the director of my old office were able to arrange the use of a room in this building. That's been incredibly helpful. It'd be even better if we had less stuff.

Kind of a funny thing from this morning. We drove into Brookline to do some errands, with our first stop at the post office on Beacon Street. We get close and start looking for spots, and there are two right next to it, but they're marked no parking for Saturday mornings. We find this odd, but pull in to do a drop off rather than park.

It wasn't until I'd gotten out of the car that I realized why there was no parking - the spaces are in front of a clinic that is regularly picketed on Saturday mornings by anti-abortion activists (around here that generally means Catholic church groups, who are less in your face but use similarly graphic signs, etc.). If memory serves there's some sort of law (fed or state, can't remember) about how close you can park to a clinic.

In any case I was left alone (being an unlikely abortion candidate), not like when we used to walk by the Planned Parenthood on Comm Ave en route to Star Market. It got so I'd just start pointing at the market when we got within protester range.

Living out in the 'burbs, I'd forgotten all about this protesting stuff. The folks out here are too busy taking up both lanes on Route 9 in their Lexus SUV (an encounter we had on our way to Brookline; I even got to honk the horn).

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...