31 December 2004

It being the last day of 2004, here are my top 10 news (or "news") stories of the year, in no particular order.

Nation forced to watch as some guy is arrested, tried, and given the chair for killing his wife.

If I did a list of the least essential news stories of the year (a thought for 2005), the Scott Peterson thing would likely top the list. That this passed for a major national news story makes me ache.

Trampy pop star and home-wrecker marries future alimony recipient, have least classy nuptuals ever.

But did we expect anything less? I'm just happy the bride decided to wear shoes.

Red beats blue, most of Cabinet resigns in celebration.

I think the Dems really missed a campaign theme by not hitting on the fear that all of Bush's competent Cabinet members were leaving. I have to think that some moderates in Ohio would have lingered longer over their ballot if they knew that Rummy would wind up being one of the few to stay.

Athletes found to be taking performance-enhancing drugs.

As much as the revelations with Giambi and Bonds lead to questions, at least they had the sense to not fake a motorcycle accident to avoid the issue. Lost in all this is Tyler Hamilton's story, which hopefully won't be the doping equivalent of trying to find the "real killers."

Americans suffer more casualties in trecherous post-victory declaration period of Iraq war.

I shouldn't make fun here, but the irony of declaring victory and then engaging in siege warfare is hard to pass by.

I Love the '90s goes political as Ukranian incumbent tries to steal election; opposition candidate poisoned with dioxin.

In my former Soviet republics pool I had them as "transitory democracy" rather than "ruled by strongman." Hope I win the tiebreaker.

Puritans buried in King's Chapel, Granary cemetaries heard rotating as Bostonians find enjoyment in first Red Sox World Series win since 1918.

And some football team won its second Super Bowl. But why dwell on reasonably consistent success?

Americans react with outrage as the cost of a gallon of gasoline skyrockets to almost 40 percent of prices in the rest of the industrialized world.

Yet it's still cheaper than a gallon of milk, which doesn't have to be shipped halfway around the world and refined. No wonder the cows are so contented; they're raking it in!

Naked women ruin TV, male rank and file mull reasons for continued living.

All of this under the watchful eye of our modern-day Savonarola, Michael Powell. Thanks, dad.

Tsunamis kill thousands upon thousands in Asia.

There's nothing funny about this.

And, while we're at it, the top five personal news stories of the year.

First wedding anniversary celebrated in romantic vacation with extended group of in-laws.

It was actually much better than it sounds. We had our private celebration on our own before the actual day, and on the day of shared the frozen top of the cake with family. The cake actually survived the freezing really well.

Special "in by 9, out by 5" kidney stone service proves painful, put on (hopeful) permanent hiatus.

Hydrate, people. Hydrate.

Chinese attempt to thwart another national TV appearance, are partially successful.

Would $64,000 converted into yuan sound more impressive? In a related story, syndicated Millionaire adds a "change question" lifeline a season too late.

Babsonian captivity ends, Garden City tenure marked by diminished earnings in third and fourth quarters of CY'04.

Like Hannibal Smith, I love it when a plan comes together. And this one is coming together much like an A-Team plan, but without the neat wrap-up by the end of the hour. Thankfully, it also follows the A-Team plan dictate of not killing anyone.

Geico gecko cackles with glee at the thought of a newly-minted 35 year old Massachusetts driver.

The sad thing is, even at my level of experience, I'm still in the top half of all drivers in the Bay State.

Hope your 2004 went as well as hopes. Best wishes for 2005.

2 comments:

Paul Crowley said...

Ouch. I feel your pain on the kidney stone. I still remember vividly trying to "gut it out" as duty officer in the shipyard back in 2001. I finally gave in and called in a relief, and somehow made it the 20 miles or so to the house (three pit stops to pee on the way) only to collapse in pain in a fetal position on the floor begging Salome to put me out of my misery. The neighbors took the kids and Salome took me to the hospital, puking three times on the way. Luckily the emergency room was light that night and they were able to get me juiced (morophine I think) pretty quickly. And all this was just the stone "moving" not passing. Up to this point the Navy docs still thought I had a urinary tract infection, but the civy hospital had no doubt. Interestingly, I passed it about two weeks later, while waiting in the Xray room for a barium tracer shot to try and find it. I don't recall passing it, but I felt marvelous the minute I left the hospital. Officially on my navy medical records it states, that I suffered from an unknown urinary tract infection; which is just as well as kidney stones are a submarine disqualifier. I guess it's a good thing I didn't have a kidney stone, eh (WW-NN. have a great 2005!

Mark said...

OK, my stone was nothing compared to yours. I'm going to stop complaining now.

Kind of crazy to think you could have gotten bumped from the sub for it, but I suppose a tendence to make stones isn't what you want from someone who spends months at a time under water.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...