24 December 2004

So I had the radio on a couple days ago, and the DJ was asking about over the top Christmas presents. A guy called in and said his brother spent $300 on a Harley Davidson leather jacket and a $100 pair of Oakley sunglasses - for his dog. This seemed excessive for about six hours, when I heard about the Dallas woman who spent $50,000 to clone her cat.

I can't say I'm in favor of this. I know it's her money to spend, but with all the other animals out there who need help, I'd rather have the opportunity to bring a new pet into my house.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I wouldn't spend five cents to clone a cat. I'm a dog person. Even so, I don't think I'd have cloned any of our past dogs for the above reason.)

Having grown up seeing the chocolate Monopoly sets, furs, and luxury cars in the Neiman-Marcus Christmas catalog, the idea of such conspicuous consumption by residents of the Metroplex during this Yuletide season doesn't exactly shock me. I just think that there are probably hundreds of animals in the Dallas area that could have had a nice holiday season if a kindly woman helped put food and water in their dishes.

In any event, Merry Christmas to those of you for whom it's appropriate. Happy Saturday to the rest of you.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...