28 February 2006

Book Log 2006 #8: The Lobster Coast by Colin Woodward

When I first picked this book up, I expected it to be a fairly contemporary account of life in coastal Maine and the challenges common to the lives of lobstermen and others trying to make a living there. What I found was often more interesting, as much of the book is turned over to a history of the region that helps explain why current residents are disinclined towards change and distrustful of outsiders. The parts about fishing, and the dependence of the regional economy on lobsters, often seemed secondary. But they were still fascinating and instructive as to the mindset and outlook for the region.

All that being said, I really did enjoy the book, perhaps not surprising given my in-laws and familial history (my paternal grandmother's family is descended from Maine fishermen). I will say that I am not crazy about the page I've linked to, as the use of the term "hunter-gatherer" is a bit much in this context.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...