23 February 2006

I was going to write something about the US men's ice hockey team, drawing some comparisons to the US men's basketball team and their performance in Athens and pushing for both to come up with a more permanent national team akin to soccer.

But then the Canadians went and crashed out of Turin. It seems wrong to probe the not wholly unexpected US result when it's a national day of mourning for our friends to the north.

In checking the newspapers for doomsday headlines, it was interesting to see how most of them found the silver lining in the variety of medals won by Canadian women speed skaters (short and long tracks). Though one (the Toronto Sun, naturally) asked if one of the women could play hockey, given that the national team can't.

Anyway, I got to miss all the coverage yesterday by heading to the theater. I didn't think that the tickets for Les Miserables that I got the wife for Christmas would entail missing Olympic fun, but better last night than tonight (at least for the wife, whose interest in figure skating well exceeds my own).

Not much to say about Les Miz other than it was a competently executed (if long) musical about love, mercy, and justice in revolutionary France. It is now the first musical I've ever seen more than once, but with the original viewing now 14 years in the rear view that's not really anything to boast about. I have higher hopes for Spamalot, which we're seeing in a couple of weeks. I definitely hope that the rows at the Colonial Theater have more leg room than those at the Opera House, whose seating is an upholstered version of Fenway's grandstand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only sat in the balcony at the Colonial but I can report that it will likely be just as comfortable as Fenway. Sorry.

Hyph

Anonymous said...

I had floor seats for Angels in America at the Colonial. Unless they remodeled after 1995, you're in for hard seats, crap upholstery and legroom on par with Boston Garden.

It is a really lovely old theater, if that cuts any ice with you. I believe there's even a chandelier.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...