14 February 2006

Yeah, so that hockey game actually turned out be a lot of fun. The game itself was entertaining - too close for my taste given the way the teams were playing - but not a classic. I'm not going to argue given the result, though.

More fun was the company, as I had the chance to see an old college friend (Paul, a non-blogger but semi-regular commentor) who I hadn't seen in at least two kids and one wife (his and mine, respectively). He was also smart enought to not mention his personal BU losing streak until after the game was over; had he told me beforehand, I think I would have been duty-bound to keep him out of the arena.

The most apropos detail of the night: the on-ice logo for Northeastern, perennial Beanpot doormat, started to bleed during the second intermission of the title game. And, of course, in trying to fix the problem it was only made worse. So for the third period it looked like their logo was surrounded by that black cloud thing from Lost.

No word on if you could see Nigerian villagers in it, though.

The least classy yet apropos moment also came in the second intermission, as the BU and BC mascots played some variant of beer pong. This is at least the second time they've done that, and really, it's not any better than the first time. It was fun explaining beer pong to Paul, as the game wasn't popular in our heyday and, as a parent, he'll probably run into it with his brood sometime in the late 2010s.

Though they'll probably have EA Extreeme Beer Pong for the gaming system of your choice before too long.

Least entertaining moment overall came after the game, when I discovered that the 11:30 train I was planning to take home actually left from Beverly as a connecting train for the 10:40 - which I missed by about 10 minutes. Instead, I got to wait for the 12:10, meaning I got home at about 12:50 am. There was a time when that wasn't late. Sadly, that time isn't now.

1 comment:

Paul Crowley said...

Thanks again for the invite, Mark. I owe you and Sarah big time and only hope I can try to make it up when you visit this summer. Thank god, the streak is over. It wasn't just BU either as my jinx extended to Red Sox games as well. Last time the good guys one when I attended in person was a BU vs Denver game in either 1995 or 1996. Hopefully, when I head down for my annual pilgrimage to Seattle for Red Sox weekend this summer, it will be the continuation of a new "winning streak".

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...