02 March 2006

Another Lenten season is upon us, and as usual I've had my annual bout with not knowing what to give up. Lacking any real inspiration, I've decided to copy one of you and give up salty snacks. So, for the next 38 and a half days, no potato chips, pretzels, popcorn, etc.

I have a feeling this will go much better than my attempt to give up cursing, which long-time readers (all 3 of you) will remember as a splendid failure. A wholly unsurprising result, given that I work with college students.

Anyway, on the T ride in on Tuesday, I was talking with a co-worker who mentioned that rather than give anything up, he liked to do something positive, and in that way give up personal time or what have you rather than arbitrarily pick a foodstuff or habit and go cold turkey. I thought this was a good idea, and so I've decided to do something similar. And what fun would that be if I couldn't drag all of you along with me?

Lentorama 2006 Saint of the Day: St. Chad

The first bishop of Mercia, he's kind of the Kevin Bacon of saints - his brother was St. Cedd, he trained with St. Aidan, and spent time with St. Egbert in Ireland. He was bishop of York for a while - until the guy who was supposed to have the post returned from France and wanted his job back - and he established a see at Lichfield. My favorite bit about him: in liturgical art, he is depicted as a bishop holding a church. Saintly and strong, there's a combination.

Wikipedia noted that some wags suggested that St. Chad be made the patron saint of botched elections after the whole fiasco in 2000. Sadly, the Vatican hasn't acted on this yet.

2 comments:

James said...

A saint of the day? It's junior year theology at Pope John all over again for me!

Julie said...

Since I'm a third-generation lapsed Catholic, the only saint I reliably remember is San Giuseppe (March 19). It's my mother's name day, for one thing. For another, both Italians and Poles supposedly celebrate it, which neatly takes care of both sides of the family. (The "supposedly" shows you just how lapsed we are.)

Lentorama 2024: Clerical Crime Solvers Day 40: Cadfael Born in Wales, Cadfael left home to become as servant to a wool merchant in the Engli...