24 March 2006

You now have two and one-quarter hours to enter my Frozen Four pool. Link to the bracket is available below. We're up to 7 entries, and will likely go up to 9 with two people who I'll see today before the games start. Which, I think, makes this the largest of my Frozen Four pools to date.

And you can still help me get to double digits!

In unrelated news last night, the wife and I took what was likely our final spin through the local Filene's department store last night. For those of you not from the area, Filene's is kind of a local version of Macy's, which is fitting given that Macy's (OK, Federated) bought them out and is in the process of merging their stores. Some of the Filene's will actually become Macy's, while in locations that already have both (such as the Northshore Mall in Peabody) will close the Filene's. Three of those locations (including ours) will eventually host Nordstrom's, which is too little too late for the one fan I know, who just moved back home.

I mention this not to lament the closing - it's not like I shopped there regularly - but to marvel at some of the markdowns. For example, the $60 bracelet set that was going for $6. I've never worked retail, and seeing this was a stark reminder of the whole markup thing. I also felt badly for anyone who paid retail for the set, as (a) they weren't very attractive, and (b) there were a good 30 sets left at the discounted price.

With Filene's closing, and the previous closings of Jordan Marsh and Lechmere's, I don't know if there's another major local department store chain still operating. I suppose I can't complain too much - I'm not a shopper, and am reasonably satisfied with finding things I do need at Target - but I guess it was nice to have more options.

No comments:

Lentorama 2024: Clerical Crime Solvers Day 40: Cadfael Born in Wales, Cadfael left home to become as servant to a wool merchant in the Engli...