19 March 2006

So yesterday's long day started with Cancel Bowl, which went pretty well but for running a little late. Tried something new at halftimes akin to the Geekqualizer from Beat the Geeks, but I don't think it worked too well. I don't think I'd try it again, at least not on a tournament-wide scale.

Biggest problem of the day was when we discovered that I'd left hockey tickets for last night at home. The wife took one for the team and drove home to get them, which I was (and still am) quite thankful for.

I'm especially thankful as BU won that game, taking its first Hockey East title since 1997. It was a very strange game, as we appeared to dominate by the number of shots, but couldn't put the puck in more than once in regulation time. Of course, BC couldn't score more than one, either. It was not an artful display of hockey, and a little frustrating after we'd walked over UNH 9-2 the night before.

OT was nighmarish, with BC building up a 10-3 lead in shots and control of play. This kept up pretty much until Brandon Yip put in the game-winner.

We get Nebraska-Omaha in the first round of the NCAA tournament, and should we get by them we'd get the winner of Miami (Ohio) and... BC. For the sixth time this season. Great.

The only other thing of note from the game was that, in the infinite wisdom of the ticket office, the regulars from the student section were mixed with us regular season-ticket holders, who don't spend the game standing and cursing (OK, they don't curse during the entire game, but it's pretty regular). I don't necessarily mind this - the energy is refreshing - but the standing was an issue. Last night we had a group of five or six students - not sitting in their ticketed seats, of course - who got shirty when we (and people in the two rows behind us) tried to get them to sit down. They eventually did, and then spent the first four or five minutes of the game talking about where they could go to stand. I didn't realize that was such an integral part of the experience; it wasn't when I was a student. Must be some sort of learned behavior from soccer hooligans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kind of liked the Geekqualizer but maybe that's just me. I did have the older guy from Columbia get shirty (tm Mark Coen) with me when I called one of his team members for pausing too long.

Hyph

Anonymous said...

Personally, I liked the Geekqualizer as a theory, though I thought the implementation could have been improved. If nothing else, the questions should have started easy and built harder--making Just Legal the second part of that name-the-location Geekqualizer just seemed a little mean.

Lentorama 2024: Clerical Crime Solvers Day 40: Cadfael Born in Wales, Cadfael left home to become as servant to a wool merchant in the Engli...