02 December 2017

Book Log 2017 #11: Let it Bleed by Ian Rankin

I have to admit, I don't recall the plot of this installment in the Rebus series, and the linked page doesn't do much to refresh my memory. This Publishers Weekly blurb is better (so maybe I just should have linked to it to begin with?), and do recall liking the way it depicted the corrupting influence of power backed by money and the return of Gill Templar, who I always wished was more prominent in the run of the series (I feel similarly about Samantha Rebus, though it seems true to type that Rebus would fall out of touch with his daughter).

Another thing I read about the book was the prevalence of suicide and how it reflected on Rebus and his own potential for suicide. I don't remember how deeply developed that was, but I've never seen Rebus as likely to do himself harm (outside of the bottle, at least). Still, it's easy to see how it's worth examining that particular topic given how isolated Rebus is.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...