08 December 2017

Book Log 2017 #29: A Hero of France by Alan Furst

Another in the Night Soliders series of World War II novels about spies and other behind the scenes people across Europe. In this case we have Mathieu, a Frenchman whose resistance cell is trying to get downed British pilots back home. We see how his cell, made up of a variety of regular people, do their work while trying to avoid German surveillance.

I don't remember much of the actual plot, but liked it pretty much as well as the other books in the series. I did read a few reviews to jog my memory, and found one complaining about the book's lack of intensity. Which struck me, as I never really think of the books in this series as being particularly intense (at least not in the way of your average/stereotypical book about spies and war). I think the lack of intensity makes sense when you're dealing with people who spend most of their time trying to not draw attention to themselves. It's not on topic, but I think Jim Lovell's line from Apollo 13 sums this up when he talks about something being "three hours of boredom followed by seven seconds of sheer terror." In the case of this series, you get both the boredom and the terror.


No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...