12 December 2017

Book Log 2017 #39: Dark Star by Alan Furst

Andre Szara is a Polish Jew, who escaped the pogroms and as of 1937 is a journalist for Pravda in Paris. He's approached by the NKVD to perform some small jobs for the Soviets, using his job as cover. As you might expect, these small jobs lead to more significant ones, to the point where it's not clear if he's really a journalist anymore. This professional crisis is then complicated by a personal one, which would require him to give the British the same sensitive information he's been passing to the Soviets.

This is the second book in the Night Soldiers series, and it travels some very familiar territory if you've read other books in the series. For some reason I only gave this three stars on Goodreads (I've more typically given books in the series four stars). I have no idea what I may have found lacking, but I doubt it was enough to discourage anyone from actually reading the book.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...