18 December 2017

Book Log 2017 #40: The Lost Book of the Grail by Charlie Lovett

I had read The Bookman's Tale and while I wasn't blown away I liked it well enough to pick this up. In it, another bookish protagonist gets involved in solving an ages-old mystery, this time involving the Holy Grail.

Our hero, a lecturer at the local university and amateur Grail enthusiast, spends his happiest hours in the library of the local cathedral, where he can wile away the hours looking at their ancient manuscripts. When a young woman from America shows up to digitize the collection, he senses a threat - until he learns she shares his fondness both for old books and the Grail. Together they search for an ancient (and missing) text which contains information about the cathedral and the Grail, which could just help them turn around the church's precarious financial status.

I did like this one better than The Bookman's Tale, maybe because I'm more interested in the Grail than in Shakespeare.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...