18 December 2017

Book Log 2017 #42: The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor

In the aftermath of the Great Fire, a body is discovered in the ruins of St. Paul's Cathedral. James Marwood, the son of a Cromwell supporter, is pressured into investigating the killing by a shadowy figure of some importance to Charles II, who suspects that it is related to the ongoing threat to the king by republicans, Puritains, and others. While doing so he comes across a woman (who he originally mistakes for a boy), whose father belonged to the same religious sect as Marwood's father. Together they work to solve the crime and improve their personal standings.

I remembered nothing about this book before writing this, but as I read a couple of reviews pieces came back to me, and I do recall liking this more than I originally thought I would. Which makes it surprising that I never got around to reading the sequel. Or any of Taylor's other books, as he's written a number of historical mysteries (most of a more recent history than this). Something to rectify for the future.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...