01 December 2017

Book Log 2017 #9: Gallows Thief by Bernard Cornwell

I literally remember nothing about this book. From looking at the description it appears to be a stand-alone detective novel featuring a former military officer who, down on his luck after returning from Waterloo, takes a job as an investigator to look into petitions for mercy on behalf of those condemned to die. His first case involves a painter due to hang in a week's time for a murder it looks like he didn't commit.

I gave the book three stars on Goodreads, which is what I usually give books that I liked but didn't have any specific affinity for (which may explain why I don't remember it at all). So it's probably a perfectly cromulent book, I don't think I've ever read anything by Cornwell that I didn't like to some degree.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...