06 December 2017

Book Log 2017 #25: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm writing these recaps well after the fact (it's currently 2019 and I haven't even started on 2018 yet!), so it's hard for me to give more than vague impressions of each book. I do remember some details here - the Underground Railroad is an actual railroad built underground, which does take slaves northward, but based on a schedule (both in terms of time and destination) that's not exactly predictable.

Each stop made by the main character evokes some instance of racial injustice. A stop in South Carolina recalls the Tuskegee experiments. What appears to be the final stop in Indiana bears resemblance to the Rosewood massacre. All set to the backdrop of a relentless slave catcher, whose continued hunt adds a constant level of dread.

It's hard to say at this remove what I felt about the book when I read it, but I do think that it does an excellent job demonstrating not just the horrors of slavery, but how that horror continued to play out over time. It is very much worth reading.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...