28 March 2004

I had the good fortune (or, more accurately, my brother had the good fortune) to come across free Celtics tickets tonight, so I got to take in what passes for NBA basketball. It was not one for the highlight reels. The Celts won 89-65 over the Sixers, who set franchise records for lowest team score for a half and three quarters. The Sixers shot 15-70 over the first three quarters, and were probably saved from even greater futility by scoring 10 to 12 points in the final four minutes of the third quarter. There was no AI or Big Dog for Philly, which clearly didn't help.

The Celts were hardly impressive, though they at least worked the floor pretty well. They ate it on the offensive glass, though. Eighth place seems about right.

I was less annoyed with the constant promotions and fan exhortations than when I attended my last Celtics game, so I'm either getting used to it or they're doing a better job at it (probably both). Still too many people mugging for the scoreboard display, but that's going to happen anywhere.

In non-Celtic sports, I was chagrined to see BC made the Frozen Four. When we left for the game they were losing to Michigan. I suppose I have to root for Maine now (at least for that semifinal), though I think my official rooting interest will be for the University of Denver, if for no other reason than they are the only red and white team left. I'm OK with Minnesota-Duluth, too, as they may serve as an example to the UMass regents that you can have two state schools with high-achieving hockey programs.

Regarding that other final four, I'm officially rooting for Oklahoma State. I have some connection to the state through family and friends, and my wife has them in a blind-draw pool. So I think I have some solid reasons. I'm still steamed that Xavier couldn't hold on against Duke, but I'm sure they're not so thrilled about that, either.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...