25 February 2003

I know that the keyboard is an integral part of the computer, but I think my work machine is taking things too far.

When the plug comes out, the CPU starts to beep. A lot. Even worse, if you're hitting keys trying to figure out what the problem is, it seems like that makes things worse. Which is impossible, as the thing isn't plugged in.

So I go to restart. Except that my computer, when it can't find the keyboard, won't boot. I then have to hit the F1 key to run the setup, and am then told that the operating system is nowhere to be found. Suffice it to say that gets one's attention.

I called the help desk here, and started to explain the problem. I started to read one of the more heart-stopping lines, and the woman on the other end finished the sentence for me. I was happy to see this was common enough that she knew what I was talking about, but felt like one of those idiots who think the CD-ROM drive is a drink holder when I was told to check the keyboard plug.

I'll blame it on over-engineering and think warm thoughts about my Mac.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...