17 February 2003

Yeah, it's snowing here.

A couple days ago, it was 3 to 5 inches. Now we're looking at upwards of 30 inches, with most folks getting in the two foot range. I suppose it's better than them saying 3 to 5 inches this morning.

The current snowfall should trigger some sort of reverie on the Blizzard of '78, but to be honest I don't have a ton of memories from that. I do remember taking a family walk around the neighborhood to see all the snow as the storm was dying down, and that the snow was up to my head in places. We got some time off of school, too. Otherwise, I think I was just young enough to not have the sort of memories that were being paraded all over the damn place last week when the silver anniversary of that storm passed.

The other big storm that's been getting referenced was the April Fool's storm in 1997. The most notable thing there was that we lost power, and I thus had to try to listen to the Arizona-Kentucky NCAA tournament final on the radio. As you can imagine, that met with little success.

I have to admit a bit of a blase attitude regarding blizzards. I'm not one who runs out and stocks up on bread, milk, or wadded beef. I know, it is serious weather and could be dangerous if there's a lot of wind or if I have to get to the hospital or something, but by and large blizzards are more inconvenient than anything else.

Except that I'm getting tomorrow off thanks to this one. Thanks, Mother Nature!

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...