06 February 2003

Two news items of note today:

* Genetically-altered pigs possibly sold as food. I am generally not that afraid of altered foods, though I do worry that we're going to royally screw up biodiversity and face something along the lines of the Irish potato famine, but a hundred times worse. The one issue that does worry me is when food that's not supposed to be sold to eat is. I suppose if nothing else this raises the odds that my next barbeque meal will feature genetically-modified ribs with a side of altered cornbread.

Now there's a genetic alteration we need- pigs with meatier, leaner rib meat.

* Internement camps are AOK! Some knucklehead from North Carolina (US Rep Howard Coble, apparently looking to inherit Jesse Helms' mantle) seems to think that it was fine that the government locked up people of Japanese ancestry during WWII. Part of his argument is the familiar "some of them were going to try to sabotage things here, etc." but Coble also makes the argument that the internment was for their own good, protecting them from reprisals. I'm sure the Japanese-Americans in the camps were happy to have such loving protection.

Coble does not seem to think we need to do the same thing now with Arab-Americans, which I suppose is something. Thank God Coble's not in a position of power, say as the chairman of the Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security.

Oh, wait.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...