01 February 2004

You know, just once, I'd like to be on winning end of a Super Bowl blowout. Then again, we did win, so I should just shut my yap. I guess I'm just surprised that we won a game where we could run on Carolina and they could pass on us. If you told me that was going to happen ahead of time, I'd not have expected a win.

What the second half had in football the commercials lacked, as none of them were really great. There were some good ones, but what does it say that one of the better ads of the second half was the NFL Network promo using "Tomorrow"? I also never want to see another ad for AOL's high speed service, especially as for all the ads they did show, they were all pretty much the same (it would have been better if the ads all had a little twist like the car one, where the driver goes back in time). If forced to find other decent ads, I'd go with the two Dale Jr. ones, and I know there was one other I liked at the time that I can't think of now, which is $2.2.5 million well spent. It wasn't the Truth ad with Shards O' Glass popsicles, but that was OK, too.

I really should be writing more about my team's win than the ads, but I suppose everything I write will turn up somewhere else eventually. I will say that given all the problems the Pats had kicking the ball, it was ironic to think that a bad Carolina kick led to the one good Pats kick. Though I should give Ken Walter props for his 52 yard punt, which I think outgained his two prior punts combined.

Tom Brady as MVP is solid, but I was thinking that Mike Vrabel would be a good second choice. Two sacks, a forced fumble, and a TD catch make for a pretty good game.

I was happy to see that Robert Kraft gave a marginally more comprehensible speech after getting the Lombardi Trophy, even if it ran too long. At one point I thought Belichick was going to start laughing. Not that he has much to laugh about - his failure to wear a hoodie on the sidelines nearly cost his team the game! Really, when was the last time he didn't wear one?

And while Houston seems like a good location for the game, what was the problem with the field? There was a lot of slipping for a game played under a closed roof. I'm sure there'll be a good technical explanation tomorrow, but perhaps they should look into getting a full-time turf guy.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...