05 January 2005

Another college football season is in the books, and it didn't so much go out with a whimper instead of a bang as much as it went out with the muffled thuds of an old-fashioned beat down. Did Oklahoma send their actual first string to the Orange Bowl?

I didn't watch must past the first half, and to be honest I don't think I needed to watch as much of the first half as I did. If I were an Auburn fan (or even a Utah fan), I'd be feeling a little ticked this morning, as I'd be thinking that my school could have given USC more of a run than what they got from the Sooners.

Last night also marked the end of ESPN.com's bowl pick-em game, in which I fared a bit better than last year, when it looked like I intentionally tried to pick losers. I finished with a winning record (barely; 15-13) and in points in the middle of the pack. My main nemesis was the MAC, as I think I only picked one of their bowl games correctly. I also continued my perfect streak of picking the loser of the New Orleans Bowl. To that, I can only say that we don't get a lot of Sun Belt games up here, so it's hard to judge.

I'm also a little ticked at myself for not taking UConn in the Motor City Bowl. I can only plead temporary insanity there, as at this point they are my default regional divison 1 team. I'm further ticked at the confidence point system the game uses, as in changing some games I wound up only getting 2 points for Georgia Tech's pasting of Syracuse, a game I'd originally assigned a 26 or 27 to. I'm specifically to blame for losing the 28 point game; I took Cal over Texas Tech.

3 comments:

JQ said...

I think I fared even worse than you, but I only gave Cal a middle number over Texas Tech because I had this fear that they would (and did) pull a Kansas State from '98 where the team most screwed over by the BCS loses their bowl game.

Paul Crowley said...

I didn't fare much better, 16-12 in the one I tried to use logic on. I did well in the big bowl games, except Michigan, but started out 0-7 which put me in the hole. Amazingly, and perhaps a bit humbling, on a whim I chose a second team and just went straight with all the listed "home teams" without changing any of the confidence rankings. That team went 20-8 finishing in the top 4% nationally. Go figure.

Paul Crowley said...

Mark,
I'm surprised you didn't pick up on it and mention it in a blog, but did you pay any attention to the blatantly biased coverage of the Rose Bowl. It was there clear as day ... at every commercial break, they played the tune from "Rudi" in the background before they cut to commercial. I damn near fell out of my seat. Any self-respecting, true blue Wolverine fan knows when he's being insulted by an Irish fan.

Coincidence?

I think not!

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...