09 January 2005

Stealing from Craig and the Bruce, and looking to break the monopoly that sports have had on the blog in '05, here's my own 20 song lyrics quiz. These are the first 20 songs played at random when I fired up iTunes yesterday afternoon. I didn't use party shuffle; should that somehow violate the spirit of things, I promise to use it for a follow-up should this one go OK (which is an even money thing, I suppose).

Some notes about the songs:

1. I did leave in what I would consider album cuts, but where I did I tried to use opening lines (unless they include the name of the song or I think there will be a likely participant who knows the band pretty well). Songs I'd lump in here: 3, 6, 15, 18, and 20.
1a. You will notice that 18 is not in English. I will note that (a) the vast majority of the album the song is from is in English, and (b) the album did spawn one of the most popular songs in the year it was released (which is within the last 5 to 7 years).

2. Covers: 4, 5, and 14. The first two are reasonably well-known covers, while 14 has been done by a number of different people. Hint: this one is unplugged.

3. Email or comment answers, when a song is gotten (title and artist) I'll italicize it and give props. I'll give partial props where appropriate, but leave the lyrics in regular text.

4. Not sure what the protocol is for web searching. I assume it's frowned upon. Not like I can check.

5. Oh, yeah, groups are repeated. Assuming that matters.

Good luck!

(PS: I've never been sure what's the proper way to put lyrics into text like this, so I've done what seems most appropriate. If there's some sort of convention I've missed, please let me know.)

1. He roller coaster, he got early warning, he got muddy water, he want mojo filter. ("Come Together," The Beatles; Paul)

2. Oh give your love girl to whoever you choose, how can you lose with the stuff you use now
("It's Your Thing," Isley Brothers)

3. Lately I’ve been feeling low, a remedy is what I’m seeking, I take a taste of what’s below, come away to something better ("Jimi Thing," The Dave Matthews Band; Boggie)

4. What's the use of trying, all you get is pain, when I wanted sunshine I got rain ("I'm a Believer," Smash Mouth; Greg)

5. These people 'round here wear beaten down eyes, sunk in smoke dried faces, they’re so resigned to what their fate is ("Come on Eileen," Save Ferris; Ted)

6. You know you made me cry, I see no use in wonderin' why I cry for you
("Not a Second Time," The Beatles)

7. Rover was killed by a Pontiac, and it was done with such grace and artistry that the witnesses awarded the driver both ears and the tail. ("In Old Mexico," Tom Lehrer; Paul)

8. The fast guys get paid, they shoot, they score; Protect them, Buddy, that’s what you’re here for ("Hit Somebody! (The Hockey Song)," Warren Zevon; Greg)

9. Bye bye babe it’s been sweet love, though this feeling I can’t change, but please don’t take this so badly, ‘Cause Lord knows I’m to blame ("Free Bird," Lynyrd Skynyrd; Paul)

10. Time after time, you refuse to even listen, I wouldn’t mind, If I knew what I was missing ("You Won't See Me, The Beatles; Brian)

11. I’ve been sleeping a thousand years it seems, got to open my eyes to everything ("Bring Me to Life," Evanescence; Boggie)

12. Months went by with us pretending, When did our light turn from green to red,
I took a chance and left you standing, Lost the will to do this once again
("Wasting My Time," Default)

13. I'm in the sky tonight, There I can keep by your side, Watching the whole world wind, Around and round ("Next Year," Foo Fighters; Greg)

14. Days may be cloudy or sunny, We're in or we're out of the money, But I'm with you always ("Come Rain or Come Shine," Glenn Frey; Paul on song, The Bruce on artist)

15. Lie beside me, Whisper to me that you want me, Arms around me, Whisper to me that you want me, There's nothing here to be afraid of
("Just the Morning," Lyle Lovett; Greg on artist)

16 Did you lose yourself somewhere out there? Did you get to be a star? Don't it make you sad to know that life, Is more than who we are ("Name," Goo Goo Dolls; Allyson)

17. I mean about future calamity, I used to think the idea was obsolete, Until I heard the old man stamping his feet. ("Hell," Squirrel Nut Zippers; Greg)

18. Herido y abandonado, Aber aber tu sabes dime mi amor por favor, Que dolor nos quedo
("Corazon Espinado," Santana)

19. I thought you’d come through, I thought you’d come clean, You were the best thing I should never have seen
("Human," The Pretenders)

20. We live in a beautiful world, Yeah we do, yeah we do ("Don't Panic," Coldplay; Boggie)

15 comments:

Paul Crowley said...

Heh, this is pretty fun. I don't have an IPOD so I won't be able to contribute to the shuffle quiz, but I had fun wracking my brains over your lyrics. I think I have a couple.

Let's start with the two I got right off the bat:

#1 Come Together - I'm gonna guess the Beatles given some of your other lyrics, but could be Aerosmith

#9 Free Bird - Lynard Skynard (too easy)

The others I had more trouble with, two I know the song, but am not sure of the artist

#7 In Old Mexico - great song, no clue who wrote it, but I saw a CBC special with Tom Lehrer doing it so that's my guess

#14 Come Rain or Come Shine - I know this tune by heart, but so many have done it. I like BB King's version so that's my guess

As for the others, I'll leave them to someone else. I know #6 and #10 are Beattles songs and even remember that #10 is from Rubber Soul but can't place the name of the tune.

Hope some others have better luck than me.

P.S. I know #10 now because I went and listened to the album after wracking my brain for 10 minutes but won't give it up as that would be cheating.

Greg said...

1. I'm a Believer, hopefully not the Smash Mouth cover.
8, Hit Somebody! (The Hockey Song) Warren Zevon
13, Next Year, Foo Fighters
17. Hell, Squirrel Nut Zippers

Mark said...

Paul: even if you don't have an iPod, you should get iTunes. It's a good program, and you get access to the Apple music store. Then you can get Salome to buy you an iPod for your anniversary. :)

Greg: Yeah, the Smash Mouth cover. Was looking for the original, got that, been too lazy to replace it.

Matt said...

03 - Jimi Thing, Dave Matthews Band
11 - Bring me to life, Evanescence (from Fallen, a neg-5 I will never repeat)
20 - Don't Panic, Coldplay

You and I apparently have closer musical tastes than Bruce and I do. Also, I realized the tyranny of the iPod shuffle: listening to it actually reduces the chances you know the title of a given song (especially on those album cuts) since it's unlikely you're looking at the screen. Luckily these two were one's I'd known and moved to playlists already.

Allyson said...

16 is Name by the Goo Goo Dolls. Sad that it's the only one of the ones that are left that I recognize offhand.

Matt said...

The "Matt" above is me, Bogg. My Blogger profile is a little jacked.

Anonymous said...

I think #2 is Brick House, Commodores
#10 is You Won't See Me, Beatles or various covers

Brian Weikle

Mark said...

Brian has the right genre for number 2, which will hopefully help.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, ooh, I know one!

#5 Come on Eileen, Dexy's Midnight Runners

See you at ABD

Ted Stratton

Be sure to visit Dan Passner's blog at http://blog.danpassner.com

Mark said...

Ted's got the song, but remember it's a cover.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to go with Save Ferris then.
Ted

Greg said...

I'm going to take a stab that 18 is the spanish version of Zoot Suit Riot by Cherry Poppin' Daddies.

lots of choice cuts left on my quiz, btw...be glad I didn't throw lyrics from some of the Bollywood songs up there.

Mark said...

OK, some hints on the remaining songs:

2: Everyone knows the chorus (and its horn licks) so well that these lyrics tend to get lost.
6: It's by the only group repeated in this list
12: It's mediocre late '90s rock, may be a future one hit wonder. I can't come up with anything better.
14: The artist is better known for his '70s group and '80s solo work (whose videos were fairly plot-driven, if somewhat cheesy)
15: It's by the only country artist I have more than one album for (or, depending on how you define country, any album for).
18: Guest spots on the album this appears on include Rob Thomas, Everlast, and Wyclef Jean
19: This also served as the theme song to a show featuring a known show killer.

Greg said...

15. I know you're a Lyle Lovett fan but I can't place the song. I have all his stuff, but don't listen much to the first album or I Love Everybody, so I'm guessing it's from one of those.

Matt Bruce said...

Wild guesses from the Bruce, ringing in half a second before the moderator called time. If any of these are right I'll be shocked.

2. James Brown, "Get On Up"

6. DMB, "Ants Marching"

12. The Verve, "Freshman"

14. Don Henley?

15. The Dixie Chicks, "F**k Me Gently" (I know that's actually a Tenacious D song but there's no way I'd have gotten the title anyway)

18. Santana, "Oye Como Va"

19. (sorry, the only Ted McGinley show I know is Married With Children and this clearly isn't "Love & Marriage")

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...