21 January 2005

The third "season" of The Apprentice kicked off last night, featuring a "book smarts" versus "street smarts" theme. I think I'm going to be sick of this theme really soon, as there's only so far that "slobs versus snobs" can get you. Compare Caddyshack to Caddyshack II, for example.

Otherwise, no real obvious changes from the other seasons, other than they brought in a hipster doofus for entertainment purposes. Considering how close he got to being fired last night, I'm not expecting a deep run for him. I won't miss his colorful leisure suits.

In unrelated news, I'm taken with one of the current Yahoo headlines, "Inch of show cripples North Carolina's capital." Reading the article, it appears that there was a lack of readiness due to forecasts only calling for a dusting. Really, if the margin between a dusting and an inch is what sends you from business as usual to chaos, there may be bigger problems than the weathermen being off a bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will again mention the fact that I was once sent home from school when it started snowing. People south of the Mason/Dixon line just don't handle it very well. In fairness though tornados and hurricanes cause much less angst down there than they do up here.

Hypho

Julie said...

An inch of snow here is called "April". :-)

Mark said...

Much of the hurricane-related angst here is for ratings purposes. I can remember hurricane forecasts when I was a kid that were serious but not the short of all-out assault that they are now. Heck, most blizzards back then didn't get the sort of coverage our last average snowfalls brought out. I'm surprised no station has ditched their prime time lineup for wall to wall blizzard coverage.

And Julie, props for pulling off one of the few moves from Michigan that could land you into colder weather. You'll be teaching at Alaska-Anchorage in no time.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...