04 January 2005

Keeping the two game set with Minnesota from being a total loss, the BU hockey team won the opener in Agganis Arena, prevailing by the same score they'd lost by the previous night, 2-1. Fans of symmetry will also enjoy that the same BU player, Brad Zancanaro, scored the last goal at Walter Brown and the first goal at Agganis.

One game in, there's very little I can say in the negative about the new place. The biggest problem I encountered was that the concessions staff didn't seem to know how to work the registers. Fans are also going to have to learn that it's not good form to stop in the middle of the concourse to chat, as it slows everything down.

I did read in a USCHO story that some people complained about the rows being too long in the sections, and about a lack of leg room. The rows are long, but no longer than those you would find at the Fleet Center. Hopefully, people will begin to realize that you should spend less time getting up and more time watching the game. As for leg room, I'm often in need of it, and didn't find it wanting from my seat. I don't think we get any extra room as premium seat holders, but I could be wrong.

(That being said, I could use a skosh more hip room. Of course, I could do something about that my own self.)

There were some opening night issues, as people get used to operating things. With all the new technology I figure it will take a few games for everyone to get ramped up, regardless of any practice they've had previous to opening. Heck, the team is still trying to get used to the bigger ice surface (it's 5 feet wider) and they've been practicing there for a couple of weeks.

Not much else to complain about. The wait to get out of the parking garage under the arena was longish, but not unlike what you get in any parking garage after an event. It was certainly shorter than any time I've been to a game up at BC. I don't think I've ever gotten out of their garage in less than 20 minutes.

On the tooth front, I am a little sore where I had the work done yesterday but nothing approaching actual pain. And to some extent I think the soreness is my own fault, as waited a little longer to take my ibuprofen so my last dose would be closer to bed time.

Between the game and the dentist, things actually went much better than expected yesterday. Hopefully the job I applied for in the afternoon will work out as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, I went on the USCHO fanboard for what has got to be only the 2nd time in my life to read fan reaction. I am shocked by people's complaints and frankly, I have a few comments of my own:

1 - The leg room is fine ... I'm not exactly tall, but I didn't feel cramped. The problem is people have to get up and down to let people in and out (you can just do the turn 45 degrees and let people scootch by ... ). I don't find it that annoying especially since you can see the video screen and keep up with the game.

2 - People must stop comparing the place with the FLEET center. It's NOT a little Fleet center (as some posters on the forum stated). The Fleet center does not have the same intimacy with the game - period. The compare it is just lazy thinking. It has the capability of being just as LOUD as the old WBA, where the Fleet is rarely as loud as the old garden - face it.

3 - There isn't a bad seat in the place. I've spoken to a dozen people who went to the game today and no one complained about the sight lines. It's perfect in that respect.

My final observation is this. These USCHO fan forum people are waaaay too intense, and I will never go back to the site.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...