26 January 2005

Yeah, the Oscars. Have I seen any of these movies? No. In fact, based on the reminder list I've only seen six of the movies open for consideration. And, to be honest, none of them were especially award-worthy. Not Seed of Chucky unworthy, but nothing special, either. Clearly, I need to work on spending my movie dollars more wisely.

There was a time when I made a point to see all the Best Picture nominated films before the awards were given. I've not done that in some time. In fact, the last year for which I've seen all the nominated films, in the theater or not, was 1997 (for the 1998 ceremony - Titanic, As Good as it Gets, The Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, and LA Confidential). Still, I've usually seen about half of the nominated films, at least until now.

Not sure why the change, though living near movie theaters definately helps. When I was at BU there was almost always a theater within walking distance (not to mention the dear departed Nickelodeon, which was on campus). Then again, 1998 was the year I moved back to Boston, and my viewing habits dropped off anyway.

The good news, I suppose, is that there is a second-run house around the corner from where we live now. Hopefully they'll run some of the nominated movies soon, though they seem to focus mostly on foreign films and stuff they can get on the cheap (for example, they've got Shall We Dance? going now, but will be showing The Incredibles next week, so it's not all bad).

1 comment:

Scott Monty said...

Being just as woefully behind on my theater-going activities (but with a toddler to impede me), I haven't seen the "best" flicks either. However, I've got an added incentive to see "Ray," as I had a nice dinner with Curtis Armstrong (aka Booger from "Revenge of the Nerds") two summers ago, just after the film wrapped and his hair was still growing in from the Ahmet Ertegun role in the Oscar-nominated film.

However, I'm proud to say that I finally saw "The Incredibles" last night and it was well worth the wait. It's got a great late 'Fifties/early 'Sixties feel to it, both in set design and music, and it's fun for all ages. Highly recommended.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...