11 December 2005

So I'm back to being sick again. Or, perhaps more accurately, whatever I had that was never completely cured has mounted a comeback. It's not been too bad (the wife is much worse off, and it could be that I segued seamlessly from what I had to what she has), though for whatever reason it seems like one of the side effects is a lack of tiredness (as you might imagine given the time of this post).

Another side-effect (well, more of a self-imposed condition of trying to get better) is I've spent a fair amount of time lying down and watching sports, which is never a bad thing. I got to watch Northern Iowa and Appalachian State punch their tickets for the 1-AA national title game, and see top-ranked Grand Valley State hold off Northwest Missouri to take the D2 crown. All the games were well-spirited and went down to the last play. I know bowl games can be exciting, but there's something abotu having games like this at the end of a playoff that cranks up the intensity. I don't think I'd have cared as much if it were the close ending of, say, the Fort Worth Bowl.

I also got to see a bit of the SWAC title game between Grambling and Alabama A&M. I didn't even know they had a title game. Of course, I didn't see any of the second half, wherein the Tigers turned it into a rout.

Topping this off was an installment of Ice 2005, a two-hour block of bobsled, luge, skeleton, and curling. There wasn't enough bobsled for my taste, and the curling was a men versus women Team USA skins event (four ends, team with the hammer has to score two points to take the end), which was different. I suppose it would be too much to ask for this show to appear all year and actually follow the World Cup circut (or whatever curling's equivalent is).

2 comments:

Julie said...

Bleahhh. I hope I didn't spread around the virus that I unwittingly brought to TrashMasters and then back home to Rick. We've both been glued to our vaporizer for some days.

Then again, a lot of people here seem to have it, so maybe it had a Northeastern origin in the first place.

Anonymous said...

So that's what's been keeping off-kilter all week! Nice timing, too, trying to do PR and stuff for my J! appearances. And to think I thought it was just the bizarro weather in Chattanooga, and standing outside way too long in the cold at Sonic.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...