11 December 2006

Book Log 2006 #57: Berlin Games by Guy Walters

A reasonably interesting history of the 1936 Summer Games, from their awarding to Berlin, talk of boycott by the US and British teams, to the actualy competition and their aftermath. Pretty good balance of bouncing between organizers and athletes, though I imagine American readers would prefer more about Owens and other US athletes (Walters is British, as evidenced by his regular use of the term "cockahoop"). Though I'd have to think that descendents of Avery Brundage would have liked less coverage. He comes off very poorly, which is not much of a surprise given that he could be the smallest, pettiest person to ever be involved in American sports.

While I found it interesting, I will say that the writing was a little dry. Probably not the best commuter reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right about cockahoop! I used it three times. I think once per book is about right...
Best wishes

Guy W

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...