28 December 2006

Book Log 2006 #63: Washington's Spies by Alexander Rose

Using new research from both American and British sources, in this book Rose tells the story of the Culper Ring, a spy group that got information out of British-held New York for use by Washington. It also provides some background into syping during the war (starting with the story of Nathan Hale) and into the mechanics of spying and the position spies had in war and society in general.

I never got as into this book as I thought I would. Rose takes long detours from the main narrative to provide biographical and background information, and perhaps detoured a bit too long or too deeply at times. The information is relevant, but when reading the book as I did (on a trip and by commuting), it can take a while to remember who everyone is, never mind things like motivations and relationships between ring members.

That aside, I do think that I would have liked the book more if I'd read it under more controlled conditions.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...