18 February 2008

40 Days, 40 Churches

Day 13: St. John's Church, Beverly Farms MA

This is the first non-Catholic church I remember going to for a service, as my sister Cathy and I tagged along with a neighboring family. Still not sure why we went, I assume it was some sort of curiosity about people going to a church that wasn't ours. I don't remember much of it, other than that there was feet washing.

After that, I didn't go back for a good 25 years, until we went to the funeral for a family friend. The church itself would fit in pretty much anywhere in England, which isn't surprising for Episcopalians. Lots of dark wood and timber beams. The pastor at the time was a woman, who doesn't appear to be there any more (and may have just been there for the funeral, not sure), which is too bad, as she was quite good. I suppose I should be happy that we get to have female altar servers now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The female priest was a friend of mine: Paige Blair. She's also a BU grad.

Mark said...

Not her, at least based on the picture and dates found during a Google search. The funeral was after we moved to Beverly in 2004.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...