02 February 2008

Book Log 2008 #4: One Red Paperclip by Kyle MacDonald

You've probably heard of the guy who used the power of the Internet to trade up from a red paperclip to a house. I had, but knew almost none of the details, which is what drew me to pick this up when it popped up at the library. I'll admit to having pretty low expectations, based on a quick flip through which made it look like a lot of the book was made up of emails.

Turned out I was wrong, as the emails make up a very small part of the story, which is told in an able and humorous fashion by the guy who actually made the trades. The one thing that didn't work for me was the mock-inspirational sayings between each chapter. One per break would have been plenty.

It's a quick read, and worth perusing if for nothing else than to learn about Corbin Bernsen's snow globe collection.

1 comment:

Scott Monty said...

My colleague Joseph Jaffe actually interviewed Corbin Bernsen on his podcast Jaffe Juice (then titled "Across the Sound") to talk about the Red Paper Clip. It's worth a listen.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...