18 May 2003

One of the drawbacks of my job is that I have to spend a lot of quality weekend time at work during the times where students move on and off of campus. This includes back-to-back noon to eleven pm Saturdays. It'd be fine if we got overtime, but there's a reason we're on salary. Oh well, it's not like I didn't know this going into things.

You do learns some interesting things during these times, though. My boss, for instance, seems to have a strong appreciation for Shania Twain.

I'm also constantly fascinated at some of the crap that turns up during a move out, perhaps more correctly the stuff that gets left behind. There's the required crappy furniture that was probably salvaged from a yard sale, but we also seem to have more electronics left behind than you might expect. A lot of futons left behind this year, I suppose given the relatively low price (as opposed to an actual bed).

I'm also re-amazed every year about this time at the incredible self-centeredness of some of our students, though by now I should be immune. One of these days I'm going to snap at someone who is lingering past closing time and being a pain in the ass, and just start throwing their stuff out the window. We didn't have any real pains yesterday, but definately had people who were playing the system. Another of the many small examples on the ethical foundation of tomorrow's business leaders. Or at least the ones that, with my luck, will be managing my retirement fund.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...