06 May 2003

Songs by the Bee Gees were the fare tonight on American Idol, as Robin Gibb was present to guest judge what turned out to be a whole lot less falsetto than you'd imagine (though Kim Locke did bust a high note during "Emotion" that surprised me, both in her ability to hit it and in its location in the song). Robin was kind of a stiff as a judge, loved everything.

I called "fraught" off the bat when they said Josh would be singing "Jive Talkin'," but he countryfied it and it didn't turn out too bad (or at least not to the train wreck level I was expecting). He also sang "To Love Somebody," which Clay did in his first go 'round. Clay's was much better, but Josh didn't fare too badly.

For his second song Clay sang "Grease," and wore the dopiest looking leather jacket I've seen in quite some time. First problem: it was red. Second problem: IT WAS RED. No belts or spangles like the Michael Jackson red leather jacket, but still.

Kim and Ruben were their usual selves, nothing really stands out here for me outstide of Kim's high note. Actually, Ruben's second song confirms for me the idea that he'll be this generation's Luther Vandross (speaking of which, I'm still kind of dumbfounded about Luther's stroke; I know he's a big man, but still).

As far as the booting goes, Josh is clearly the fourth best singer in this group of four. I am, however, afraid that his powers will continue to hold for this week. I'm guessing Kim Locke will go out, but hoping that common sense (and the loss of dial tone at Marine bases nationwide) will ease Josh back into military life... until he has to go on tour.

Unrelated Fox programming note: the Miss Dog Beauty Pageant that's coming up may be the first time in pageant history where someone can call a contestant a bitch without getting slapped.

Further unrelated Fox programming note: how bad off is Whitney Houston that she has to guest star on Boston Public? Do current high schoolers even have working knowledge of her music?

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...